LEGO 1989 Batwing Announcement

Last year LEGO surprised adult fans with the 1989 Batmobile (the best Batmobile) from the Tim Burton Batman films.

Most fans of this Batman would now be in that 30-40+ age demographic, so it’s no surprise that when LEGO began to target adult audiences. One of the largest pop-culture franchises that will tickle the nostalgic sense was chosen.

LEGO 1989 Batwing

Contains a ‘special brick’ which allows builders to mount and display the model on the wall!

The Box

It’s another in the series of 18+ sets that has the new stylish and sophisticated packaging for that mature builder. Which will help the buyer justify their purchase to their significant other that this set not for the children. In saying that, the LEGO Group does aim to inspire builders of all ages, and I feel this set will truly provide inspiration and deeper respect for the creative process.

What’s In The Box?

This set is a show stopper, with 2,363 pieces (of mostly black), measuring over 11cm high, 52cm long and a massive 58cm wide.

For the first time, we are going to receive a ‘special brick’ which allows builders to mount and display the model on the wall!

I do love these large sets, but for a lot of potential buyers including myself, the display is a huge question before purchase.

Things we want to know about the ‘Special Brick’:

  • What is the maximum weight it can hold?

  • Will it be versatile for other sets?

  • Is there a chance the Brick could bend?

I know this is something our friends at BrickBricket will be concerned about, as their display solutions for hanging LEGO on the wall could come under threat.

What’s New and Interesting About This Set?

This is not a Minifigure scale build. Just like the 1989 Batmobile released last year, it’s huge!

We are getting three Minifigures with this set. Batman, The Joker, and Lawrence The Goon (referred to by LEGO as ‘Boombox goon’).

Batman appears to be identical to the one they gave us with the 1989 Batmobile, but possibly with golden paint on his chest plate logo instead of flat yellow, that we saw last time.

The Joker we are seeing for the first time in his mime outfit, complete with the quill to stab into the jugular.

Lawrence The Goon in his iconic purple leather jacket, and complete with his boombox. Please refer to our YouTube video below to learn more about Lawrence, and the strange decision to include him.

Plus…

As far as new parts go, there is nothing that is easily noticeable at this point. The cockpit screens in dark trans clear are possibly new or rare, along with the half dome piece on the back.

Leave a comment below if there are any new pieces you have spotted.

I’m are loving the mini machine guns located on the sides of the cockpit, but the design feature that really stands out the most is the wing pieces feathering on the tail.

With a one tile separation between each wing, it really stands out as a lovely aesthetically pleasing look that will be really noticeable if you choose to wall hang this model.

LEGO has also said that the model is also dotted with Easter eggs to surprise builders, such as a screen featuring The Joker’s gas balloons and a ‘Bat Engine’ label on the vehicle’s engine.

LEGO® 1989 Batwing will be available for LEGO VIP members from 21st October and for remaining LEGO fans from 1st November, directly via LEGO.com and LEGO Stores.

Thank you for reading

Support BrickBanter.com by shopping for your LEGO® via the affiliate links below.

It’ll cost you nothing but will mean the world to us. 🫶

🇦🇺 Australia🇨🇦 Canada – 🇪🇺 Europe🇬🇧 United Kingdom🇺🇸 United States💛 Everyone else

Explore more articles

Tags: