• Tim and Dannii

Dungeons And Dragons With LEGO: Part 1 - Dice Towers & Game Tiles

“Dice Towers and Game Tiles – What you need to begin”

So, you’re interested in playing a game of Dungeons and Dragons? You have your own supply of LEGO and want to give it a shot? You’ve come to the right place!

As mentioned in our previous post, LEGO is an incredibly versatile medium which can be used in a variety of different ways to enhance your tabletop gameplay.

Fundamentally, at its core, all you need is a Players Handbook, a set of dice, something as your markers for gameplay and a group of like-minded individuals to sit down with for an evening.

This first part of our multi-part series talks about how you can use LEGO for your general set-up, and what I’ve learned from my experience.

The Gameboard.

Dungeons and Dragons has combat, whether you want it to or not, someone will make it happen. You can simply use the theatre of the mind, or the more fun option – LEGO!

Starting off, I determined I wanted Dungeons and Dragons’ square base tiles to be a 4x4 square. I’ve seen adaptions of this over on reddit.com/r/legodnd where people use a 2x2 system as well, but we’ll talk about that in a moment.

I use a 4x4 system and grid them out on 16x16 stud baseplates to make a large 4x4 base.

This allows me to easily modify the battle area by laying out one or two of them to set the scale. If these sizes are too big, or don’t fit the mould, you can easily cover up the tiles not in use. I actually have these base tiles in three different set-ups. Light Grey/Dark Grey bases, Light Grey/Olive Green and Green/Olive Green.

But don't panic about having anything too crazy professional - players will honestly not care so long as you're trying your hardest. Heck, here are some pictures of some of my very first set-ups; and the baseboard was literally cardboard!

Another benefit of using 4x4 grid squares is to use game tiles like these;