• Tim and Dannii

Dungeons & Dragons With LEGO: Part 3 - Building Enemies

This multiple-part series teaches you how we use LEGO in our Table Top Role-Playing Game (TTRPG) of Dungeons and Dragons. We'll show you how we make our enemies for our players, even including some brick-built foes.

Dungeons & Dragons With LEGO

Part 3 - Building Enemies

If you haven’t check out our previous article, we made a list of ways we customise our Minifigures for both players. All with genuine LEGO and no third-party knockoffs, all categorized by race with pros and cons. Check it out here.

But today we’re talking about the enemies. Not only the traditional Minifigure enemies, but also the monster ones. We’re talking about wolves, bears and even driders.

Baseplates

We talked in our original entry with game tiles about the 4x4 stud system we use for Dungeons and Dragons, and most of this will still be following this ruling. But here’s a quick recap.

For Minifigures in our Dungeons and Dragons adventures, we use the 4x4 baseplates. This allows them to have ample space between them when wielding backpacks, weapons and the like. But it should be obvious that the moment you try to put a wolf, bear or anything else in this grid, it would be quite difficult to move thing around.

This is where we break the rules a little bit. There are some enemies that still fit this 4x4 space, but sometimes it just isn’t possible. I have a pretty open relationship with my players, and if a monster breaks the traditional D&D system, I tell them.

For example, if I put a monster down that takes up 8x8 studs on a slightly larger base, I might tell them that this can only be flanked once. We sacrifice strictness for the rules for aesthetic. Visualising a built enemy is much more fun than myself putting a figure down and saying “this is a bear”.