Great Scott! A fan favourite comes screeching forward from the past, and now it’s time to look Back To The Future of LEGO!

LEGO 10300 – Back To The Future Time Machine

I think almost every single LEGO fan, 30 years or older just lost their damn minds. Back to the Future is back and ramped up the speed to 88mph!

Long awaited and always hoped for, Back to the Future isn’t new for LEGO, and was actually the 4th project to ever been launched off of LEGO Ideas (called LEGO Cuusoo back then). With the release of the DeLorean back as a minifigure scale, we got ourselves Marty and Doc Brown for the very first time, and we wouldn’t see them again until their arrival in the toys-to-life game LEGO Dimensions (2015-2017).

With nobody seeing any new LEGO Back to the Future content in roughly 7 years (excluding a challenge from LEGO Masters Australia Season 1, things looked bleak.

Then this showed up! The latest in LEGO‘s vehicle car line-up but riddled with nostalgia. The DeLorean. But are we looking through rose-tinted glasses here? They’ve had quite some time since the last DeLorean, will this improve?

About This Set

So one of the best things about this set is the fact that the model can be adjusted to appear just like the version from whichever film is your favourite. We have the classic time machine from BTTF1, the flying version from BTTF2, and the cowboy-fixer-upper from BTTF3!

I personally enjoy the second model the best, but we’re here to review all three!

The interior of the DeLorean is loaded with the details that I would expect to be inside. A lot of extra detail highlighting the Flux capacitor, as well as the console with the dates displaying where you’re going, where you are, and where you were.

The flux capacitor also has the added detail of a light brick behind it to more prominently make it stand out. Other details on the inside of the build mainly go in to the shaping of the console and the chairs, but there’s also a neat use of a microphone for a gearstick.

Shape

Although there is a lot of smooth shaping going on from one of the most complicated car builds to recreate in LEGO form. There is one glaringly obvious problem that I can’t overlook. The energy connections at the back. The gap that is here is just a little too substantial for my liking, and I might make a tweak here personally.

Outside of this, the curvature of the body is incredibly well executed. A lot of the details put in to the shaping on the back can be easily seen. LEGO has been very very selective with what parts to use.

The front hood of the build was a big criticism by fans when the minifigure scale model was initially release back in 2013. LEGO has seemed to pick up on this point. Their solution? New parts! The hood uses a new sloped…uhhh…slope, that is 2×4 long but seamlessly connects to one another for the shaping of that hood. Good choice here.

And lastly, the rear of the build is crammed full of engine bits and pipes that just look like they belong. I couldn’t pick what is wrong with it if there is any.

Wheels

The undercarriage of the build features a red bar, that when simply tilted to the side, allows the wheels to retract underneath for those BTTF2 vibes. There are also four 2×1 clear trans blocks to help simulate flight.

Alternate Versions

The extra editions of the DeLorean do not skimp on the details. LEGO provides us with faithful recreations of our loved time machine.

The BTTF3 version mainly comes with the very obvious hood ornament. Exactly what is seen before the car is absolutely smashed by the oncoming train at the film’s resolution. It also has red capped wheels that really seem to make it pop in an old-timey fashion.

The BTTF2 version is probably the most detailed edition of all three vehicles. We have the Mr Fusion reactor, which opens up on the rear of the build and loaded with trash. The rear engines to generate the thrust, and even the detail of changing the number plate, as like what happens in the film.

Throw all that together with the tilted wheels, and she’s a winner for me.

Accessories

It really isn’t unlike LEGO to throw some midi-scale accessories in with the build, and of course, we appreciate it all the same. Rocking the hoverboard from the second film, as well as a case of plutonium from the first, and these are some nice little extras to love.

NIKE Mags

Dedicating its own section here, Marty’s NIKE Mags are an important detail. It might be the most detail I’ve ever seen put in to minifigure leg printing, probably tied with Captain America Sam Wilson.

These self-lacing sneakers were, once again, heavily featured in the second film. They were also made in REAL LIFE. Back in 2011, Nike released 1,510 pairs of a non-self lacing version for Michael J Fox’s charity. And in 2016, they released only 89 pairs WITH self-lacing, again for Fox’s charity. Unfortunately, the technology wasn’t ready just yet, intending to release them on Oct 21, 2015 in line with the date when Doc and Marty travelled to 2015. Want a pair? You’ll be looking at upwards of $100k!

Minifigures

Doc Brown

Doc Brown sports the attire from the sequel, more or less confirming that this is a sequel to LEGO’s original set. He wears his red shirt and tie, as well as a deep yellow legs and jacket. Although I could have wished for this to be a gold outfit, like it was in the film, the true colour wouldn’t work for LEGO’s gold or yellow, so this is a good compromise.

His leg printing also highlights the green and black boots he sports, and his head printing with the silver shades is just perfect. I’m glad LEGO used the newer hairpiece for him from LEGO Dimensions, and of course, the “Great Scott!” face.

Marty McFly (aka. Calvin Klein)

We already touched on Marty’s legs before just above, and I love them. The torso choice for Marty here too signifies that this is the second film version of the duo. But I can’t help but feel like the look is incomplete. Marty is missing the multi coloured hat that is sported quite a bit with this outfit.

I can guess that LEGO only did that because they couldn’t get the texture right for the figure. I can understand that, but I still would have appreciated even just a dark magenta hat too.

Other than that, I have a big issue with Marty’s face. There are texture lines used on Marty’s face printing that just don’t seem to belong. The eyebrows used on him make me think that he’s just another Hobbit Elf or ‘Angry Clone’ from the Star Wars sets of late 2010s.

The older iterations of Marty seem to do this better, because at the end of the day, he’s a senior at school. Not a fully grown adult with thick defining features. I fortunately have the older version of Marty from LEGO Dimensions, so it’s a simple head-swap for me.

Verdict

There are some minor issues with this set, and I don’t mind taking off the rose-tinted glasses for a moment to see that.

But overall? Damn. This would be a day one buy for most people and I have to agree. The sheer amount of an upgrade from older, smaller sets shows, and the fact that it can change between the three versions make me think that someone out there will be buying three of these.

I can’t recommend it enough. Since the announcement, I have never heard so many people saying how they’ll be buying multiple sets! So get it quick!

Thanks for reading, if you enjoyed this please leave a comment below.

Thank you for reading

Support BrickBanter.com by shopping for your LEGO® via the affiliate links below.

It’ll cost you nothing but will mean the world to us. 🫶

🇦🇺 Australia🇨🇦 Canada – 🇪🇺 Europe🇬🇧 United Kingdom🇺🇸 United States💛 Everyone else

Explore more articles

BrickBanter.com is a recognized LEGO® Fan Media account.

Review sets are supplied by the LEGO group.

LEGO logo

Tags: