Review: LEGO 80012 Monkey King Warrior Mech

Theme: Monkie Kid

Item: 80012

Pieces: 1629

Buy it here: LEGO Shop

“The golden dream for piece monkeys”

I’m usually a Minifig kind of person, if a cool Minifig comes with a set, that’s usually enough to get my buy-in. This set comes with 6, which is a great start, but it’s not why I wanted it!

After seeing our good mate Henry Pinto aka. @the_lego_dark_knight pumping out so many cool Mech Robots, and with my level of creative building (almost zero), I though this Monkey King Warrior Mech would be a good starting point to learn the basics. But the set being listed as ages 10+, I was clearly out of my league.

The Mech is impressive, standing over 40cm tall, Minifigures crumble in his shadow. But unlike Henry’s Mechs, I found this builds poses quite limiting. There are blocks in place to stop him behind certain ways, which I assume are also in place to assure a stable balance pose. This also means getting him to hold his staff in a variety of positions is limiting.

The mini street scene is a cool addition to come with the set, it has a true Japanese vibe, cool colours and look, which I feel, really popped in the photos.