LEGO gives us the gravity-defying loop-de-loop that every AFOL wished for!

LEGO 10303 – Loop Coaster

About This Set

Despite it is not all that too long ago, the need for LEGO to make another rollercoaster has felt like an all-too-overdue need amongst AFOLs. LEGO‘s first rollercoaster was an amazing introduction to the world of a new rail system. And people could not get enough of it.

It’s almost like we have crippling addictive personalities or something…

But alas, LEGO has heard the call and answered; introducing the LOOP Coaster! Taking the rollercoaster game to new upside-down heights, surely this is an instant win? Right?

Loop Coaster

Well, all rollercoasters have their ups and downs, but this one really takes us around the bend! With enough new types of techniques to throw you over the edge and flip you upside down. The Loop Coaster really lives up to its name! (Okay, I’ll stop with the puns now!)

First things first – this bad boy is tall. I, for one, was quite surprised at how sturdy this whole build is, despite the number of forces being played on it.

The drop of the build is a fast blink-and-you’ll-miss-it plummet downwards, building up just enough force to send the riders around on the new loop-de-loop track pieces. Two sets of them and bring them right back to the starting station.

I honestly didn’t think that this type of coaster would be possible on LEGO‘s agenda, so I’m a big fan. I also love that the drop is made out of two roller coaster pieces turned on their sides – I did NOT think of that.

One particularly interesting detail of the set that I think needs more appreciation is the resetting of the track. There’s a winch on the left-hand-side that allows the initial docking bay to be lifted all the way to the top, whilst also moving the counterweight on the opposite side.

Following this, the mechanism reaches its peak, it then drops back to the starting position, completely resetting itself for the next go. A smart use of the technic ‘Bohrok eyes’ allows the carts to be held back until the mechanism is ready to accept them.

Continued

It’s ingenious and easy enough to be attached to a motor too!

The model isn’t short of aesthetic functional details either – the tire that the cars pass at the end of their run is connected to the same mechanism for the winch; this allows the carts to come to a slow stop, and not slam into the start position (and giving everyone whiplash).

LEGO also use a combination of 1×1 clips to also reinforce the structure against the plating, which not only gives a function reinforcement but also makes it look more industrial.

Lastly, LEGO also sneak in a lost wedged balloon. Its function? To cover the weird gap made by the bricks. Did we need it? No. Do I like it? Yes.

The smaller aesthetic details in the set also bring me great joy – such as the poster showing off the Loop coaster amongst the amusement park (which also includes the haunted house and ferris wheel), but better yet show how the roller coaster actually says “LOOP” in the tracks.

The photo booth section is particularly hilarious, showing our three main riders. The first photo – a pretty standard thrill seeker response, the second – learning the lesson of not bringing food on the ride, and the third – with a squirrel ruining the photo for all. I particularly love how the stand uses track pieces to make the rooftop here too.

Lastly, our entrance shows a number of things banned from the LOOP coaster – hats, balloons, hotdogs and squirrels, which is clearly a bit discriminatory to squirrels methinks. The opposite side gives us a height chart – which I personally think is long overdue with some of these sets.

Vendors

The set gives us three vendors – Hotdogs, pretzels and balloons!

All three characters here are great – and I personally love the balloon cart as my favourite – but we have to applaud LEGO here for finally making a pretzel cart for once.

Minifigures

The other figures for this set come with a variety of rarer parts, but all of which, as far as I can tell, are not unique. I personally really like the torsos on the female characters a fair bit – as well as the vibrant hair colours we don’t see much of other than one or so in the large City sets.

Verdict

This set is huge, in size and price. The price tag alone is quite a big step up – but you know what? I honestly think this is worth it.

There’s something that really sets this apart from other LEGO amusement park sets in the past – and it’s in a whole different league compared to the last LEGO rollercoaster.

It has more of a ‘WOW’ factor to it – and I know that I personally enjoy how the build’s reset mechanism comes together. It’s seriously something impressive that you just have to build for yourself to appreciate.

I wish it didn’t take up so much space however, I’ve only got so much room!

Thanks for reading, if you enjoyed this please leave a comment below.

Thank you for reading

Support BrickBanter.com by shopping for your LEGO® via the affiliate links below.

It’ll cost you nothing but will mean the world to us. 🫶

🇦🇺 Australia🇨🇦 Canada – 🇪🇺 Europe🇬🇧 United Kingdom🇺🇸 United States💛 Everyone else

Explore more articles

BrickBanter.com is a recognized LEGO® Fan Media account.

Review sets are supplied by the LEGO group.