• Tim and Dannii

Review: New LEGO Marvel Spider-Man Sets For 2021!

January 1st 2021 brings us a wave of new Marvel sets, heavily featuring your friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man, along with a cast of others!

In this review, we'll take a look at:

  • LEGO 76173 - Ghost Rider Car

  • LEGO 76172 - Sandman Showdown

  • LEGO 76174 - Monster Truck vs. Mysterio

Prices vary by set and can be found by clicking these links: RRP UK £See Here - EUR €See Here - USA $See Here - AUD $See Here - CA $See Here

Available from LEGO.com and LEGO Stores from January 1st, 2021

LEGO 76173 – Ghost Rider Car

2020 brings us a new version of Ghost Rider, who in all honestly is the star of this little set. I can see this little hot-rod will be very popular with kids, especially because of the fact you can swap between a standard hot-rod and setting it alight in a blaze of glory. There’s a lot of interior work that is used to get some of the right effects, such as the front grill-plate of the car, and some upside-down building which isn’t super evident until you look for it. Equipped with stud shooters disguised as a hood engine, and easily accessorised with the “Power-up Pack” in translucent orange, the instructions quickly show how a few quick part swaps bring about the mighty steed of Ghost Rider Robbie Reyes. It’s a decent 6-stud-wide build for the price point, and I’m sure the older fans with easily take this apart and make their own.

Robbie Reyes is the now the second form of Ghost Rider we get in LEGO form, which is fantastic because he is a separate entity to the original Ghost Rider, Johnny Blaze. Showcasing the terrifying new metal-skull printing of the Spirit of Vengeance, with the fused flames atop it, this is a great figure to add to any collection. No leg printing on this figure, but that works fine here, as the target material doesn’t call for it. This figure alone will be the main reason this set gets bought, which is a much cheaper alternative to the original Ghost Rider figure.

Carnage once again makes an appearance in a low-cost Marvel set, which I know long-time Marvel collectors are disappointed by. Carnage has appeared in a roughly $20 set in 2015, $40 set in 2019, $50 set in 2020 and now a roughly $25-$30 set in 2021, with slight differences in between. This makes him unfortunately, a very common enemy to have, even amongst people with a not-so-large budget. As much as I love Carnage as a character, the fact he is unique and can’t be multiplied over multiple hosts for a battle scene (unlike Venom) makes him just another duplicate.

Spiderman, the titular hero, returns with a slightly different design for 2020, now coming with new arm-printing! Spiderman is a timeless hero, but I do wonder how many Spidermen people already have in their homes? This is a duplicate-double-up that can be forgiven, as Spiderman is the main hero here. It’s an improvement on 2020’s Spiderman, but all the difference is, as far as I can see, is the arm printing. What I can’t look past, however, is despite the gorge