Building onto an already strong theme, does the Singapore Architecture hold up to the test, or will it crumble to parts?

LEGO 21057 – Singapore Architecture

LEGO Architecture continues to be a strong and consistent theme for LEGO and world-travellers alike so it was only a matter of time before Singapore came on the radar.

An easy go-to destination choice that has lots to offer from a culture different from our own. Singapore has always been a popular overseas tourist spot, so it only feels natural that the country gets its own bit of love.

But how well does it live up to the real deal? Read on…

Singapore

The Singapore Architecture set is an immediately striking build, bright with colour and height that is generally unmatched from the other Architectural Country builds.

I am really pleased with how many builds were all squeezed together for this build, and how it isn’t just a line of towers. There is an all-too-common trend of these types of builds just being towers next to towers.

And yes, one of those builds is technically three towers, but still.

Gardens By The Bay

The Gardens By The Bay is a spectacular light display in Singapore, and not only features these flower-like purple plants, but also an array of lights that light up all parts of the greenery surrounding the area.

LEGO’s translation of this place is using simple cones for the base, but then a magenta-coloured array of wheel hubs to pull off the effect. These are new colours for these parts, and the larger flower parts are so alien to me that I would almost say they are new altogether.

Marina Bay Sands

The Marina Bay Sands is an elevated rooftop garden/forest landscape atop three towering buildings. It’s immediately eye-catching from any view within the city, as its sheer height is inescapable from any photo backdrop.

Being the largest build on the board, the LEGO version easily encompasses most of the space to pull off the similar impact of the real thing.

The small bends transition well to give more of a curved shape, but I am a bit disappointed that the rear of the build isn’t the same as the front, despite them being the same on both sides.

The use of the grill pieces here in large numbers makes me feel like I’m missing something here.

The Fullerton Hotel

Built in 1928, this neoclassical landmark has been one of the most stayed in hotels in the country. Ranking itself at a consistent 5-star ranking, and with a gorgeous waterfront view.

The LEGO version of this building really helps set the scale of the rest of the landmarks in this build, and although it isn’t as grand, it’s still a nice way to get those black square printed parts. As well as the newer printed windows across the front.

Lau Pa Sat

Built in the late 1800s, the Lau Pa Sat is one of the oldest Victorian structures in South-East Asia, and is a market area rich with cuisine and market stalls.

LEGO’s version easily captures the octagonal shape of the build, and you can’t really fault it here.

One Raffles Place

One Raffles Place is one of the tallest skyscrapers in Singapore, and is known for its particular triangular shapes that give its iconic look.

LEGO’s version of this building is really straightforward, and I do wish that they used some sort of printing of sorts instead of the translucent-black tiles, as the windows look incredible disproportionate.

OCBC Centre

The Overseas-Chinese Banking Corporation building is the second largest bank in South-East Asia and one of the World’s highest-ranking banks.

Unable to really distinguish the building between tan and white, LEGO’s choice to make it tan was a good one. I also really like that LEGO took advantage of the tiles’ overhang to recreate the jutted out window design.

Boat Quay

The Boat Quay is probably the best representation of the waterfront life in Singapore; nice and close to the water. But the skyline behind you reminds you that the city is near.

LEGO’s recreation of this was to simply include a riverfront down the entire build. Which is a good move on them, and give us a random assortment of different, yet oddly cute, buildings.

Verdict

LEGO Architecture has always been something that I’ve had trouble trying to criticise.

The medium is so small that parts are limited, and the options for better parts are size restricted. As an architectural build, I really do struggle to fault this one. The aesthetic of the buildings, the sizes and the waterfront feel, is all conveyed incredibly well.

That being said, this isn’t a set for me, and that isn’t a bad thing. This is intended for the people of Singapore and people who have visited. That’s the intended audience.

And to them, I say go for it.

Thanks for reading, if you enjoyed this please leave a comment below.

Thank you for reading

Support BrickBanter.com by shopping for your LEGO® via the affiliate links below.

It’ll cost you nothing but will mean the world to us. 🫶

🇦🇺 Australia🇨🇦 Canada – 🇪🇺 Europe🇬🇧 United Kingdom🇺🇸 United States💛 Everyone else

Explore more articles

BrickBanter.com is a recognized LEGO® Fan Media account.

Review sets are supplied by the LEGO group.

Tags: