Review: LEGO Brickheadz (not) Frankenstein

The LEGO Frankenstein BrickHeadz seems to be the latest product of the partnership with Universal Studios and the LEGO Group.

Definitely does not delay in letting us know with the imagery of the 1931 “Frankenstein” and the words “Universal Monsters” slapped onto the side of the box.

But this does leave us a little confused however…

This is not Frankenstein

As lovers of mythology, legends and folklore, we are instantly drawn to a very obvious, but common mistake. This is not Frankenstein – as named on the box.

This is in fact, Frankenstein’s Monster; also called Creature, Fiend and a series of other insulting nicknames. If this is a series of Universal Monsters, would it not be Frankenstein’s Monster?

If it is supposed to be Universal Monster Films, it doesn’t convey very well, I’m afraid. It is a little disappointing that the name of this BrickHead missed such a huge part of this iconic story and is a little muddled.

But enough about the box – let’s rip this thing open and get building!

In Side The Box

At home we have collected a small number of BrickHeadz, and made our own. But this BrickHead has achieved something others have not, and that is expression!

The sloped forehead, coupled with the new drowsy eyes capture an expression that you would expect on an undead or reanimated corpse.

More amusingly, if you rotate the eyes, you can generate a very gleeful expression which tickles our whimsy just a little bit.

In fact, these new eyes can create a number of emotions depending on the rotation and would add an emotional element to any BrickHead on the shelf. It is a small shame that they come only on light-grey tiles though.

Studs

Frankenstein’s Monster stands 5 plates higher than any of the other traditional-format BrickHeadz, and makes sure that the final plate on top sits flush with the plates on the side. Much akin to the flat head of the films.

He also has his iconic overhanging brow and even has his forehead a whole plate forward to really emphasise the disfigured and dishevelled look of a man sown together.

These subtle details contribute to the iconic appearance of Frankenstein’s Monster and shows how much effort was put into this BrickHead; it makes it much more impressive than at first glance.

Another thing that sets this BrickHead apart from the rest of them is the fact that it is monochrome! Keeping on par to the original aesthetic of colourless film, this Brickhead really keeps to the vintage feel of the era.

LEGO, however, did miss out on a few brownie points on our end. We would have loved to see every single part in this build either in white, grey or black, but a little bit of colour does make an appearance.

The final build shows no colour, but we will always know there is a pink brain inside that oversized head.

Tie that all together with the chrome silver studs on his neck and *just* enough printed pieces without going over the top, and you have a delightfully impressive BrickHead.

If you’re looking for a build to challenge you, BrickHeadz have never been the answer to that. But if you love the original films from Universal Studios, this is a set that won’t disappoint. We both can’t wait to see what other monsters come to light after this one.

Thank you for reading

Support BrickBanter.com by shopping for your LEGO® via the affiliate links below.

It’ll cost you nothing but will mean the world to us. 🫶

🇦🇺 Australia🇨🇦 Canada – 🇪🇺 Europe🇬🇧 United Kingdom🇺🇸 United States💛 Everyone else

Explore more articles

Tags: