• Tim and Dannii

Review: LEGO 40422 Brickheadz #111 (not) Frankenstein

The Frankenstein BrickHead seems to be the latest product of the partnership with Universal Studios and the LEGO Group - and definitely does not delay in letting us know with the imagery of the 1931 "Frankenstein" and the words "Universal Monsters" slapped onto the side of the box. But this does leave us a little confused however...

"This is not Frankenstein"

As lovers of mythology, legends and folklore, we are instantly drawn to a very obvious, but common mistake. This is not Frankenstein - as named on the box. This is in fact, Frankenstein's Monster; also called Creature, Fiend and a series of other insulting nicknames. If this is a series of Universal Monsters, would it not be Frankenstein's Monster? If it is supposed to be Universal Monster Films, it doesn't convey very well, I'm afraid. It is a little disappointing that the name of this BrickHead missed such a huge part of this iconic story and is a little muddled.

But enough about the box - let's rip this thing open and get building!

At home we have collected a small number of BrickHeadz, and made our own. But this BrickHead has achieved something others have not, and that is expression! The sloped forehead, coupled with the new drowsy eyes capture an expression that you would expect on an undead or reanimated corpse.

More amusingly, if you rotate the eyes, you can generate a very gleeful expression which tickles our whimsy just a little bit. In fact, these new eyes can create a number of emotions depending on the rotation and would add an emotional element to any BrickHead on the shelf. It is a small shame that they come only on light-grey tiles though.

Frankenstein's Monster stands 5 plates higher than any of the other traditional-format BrickHeadz, and makes sure that the final plate on top sits flush with the plates on the side - much akin to the flat head of the films. He also has his iconic overhanging brow and even has his forehead a whole plate forward to really emphasise the disfigured and dishevelled look of a man sown together. These subtle details contribute to the iconic appearance of Frankenstein's Monster and shows how much effort was put into this BrickHead; it makes it much more impressive than at first glance.